Angel was sick & her face swelled up; Bob Martins Premium Ham Bone

Go down

default Angel was sick & her face swelled up; Bob Martins Premium Ham Bone

Post by p1nkangel on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:11 pm

Well I think I may have nearly had a heart attack tonight!

Went to Tesco to get a few things in for dinner etc and bought my two girls Angel and Yazmin a treat, as you do. I got them a Bob Martins Premium Ham Bone each.

They couldn't wait to get their mouths on them and they were chewing away whilst I was making dinner. After we'd eaten and my girls had stopped chewing, my OH happened to look over at Angel and said to me that she looked funny and was acting strange, so i got up & had a look at her & to my horror her mouth and face had swollen lots.

So I starts to panick as she was acting a tad weird, it looked like she was struggling to swallow, not to mention the unsightly swelling, so i get straight onto the emergency vet because I was so scared that she'd taken an allergic reaction & her tongue would swell and maybe she wouldn't be able to breathe!

Well whilst on the phone she vomited this yucky foamy white stuff with her food from earlier mixed through it and that's when I nearly had a heart attack. I literally thought through my panick that she was going to foam at the mouth and I was going to lose her. It was that scary. This happened whilst I was waiting to speak with the emergency vet.

So I had to wait on a call back...which I received 30 minutes later, I was panicking that something bad was going to happen...and she had been sick a further 5 times by the time I got the call back!

As soon as I mentioned what I'd given her the vet said that she had came across a lot of reports about the bones causing allergic reactions. She was concerned that with Angel being sick that she wasn't going to keep down water and dehydrate, so we were to bring her to the veterinary surgery to stay in overnight and be put on fluids.

So as we were getting ready to leave and head to the car she was sick again, so I was cleaning it up and then all of a sudden she was herself again, ears pricked up, running about and drinking lots of water! It was such a change and it happened so quickly. So after about 10 minutes of her being ok I rang the vets back to say she was miles better etc so we didn't have to take her in! I'd have been so worried with her staying away overnight.

She's back to her grunting cheeky mischief self now Plus the swelling on her lips has went down considerably too.

I'm knackered after all that

Needless to say I won't be getting those bones again just to be on the safe side. I must add though that Yazmin was ok but she never chewed on it for as long as Angel did.

I'm sleeping on the sofa tonight, whilst Angel & Yazmin sleep in their doggy bed as I want to keep and eye on Angel just in case. There's no way i could crate them and got to bed after all that happened tonight. I feel way better once we get over tonight!

Thanks for listening...I just needed to get that off my chest...it was just so worrying & scary!
p1nkangel

Female
Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2008-04-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Angel was sick & her face swelled up; Bob Martins Premium Ham Bone

Post by p1nkangel on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:16 pm

Thankfully my Angelbaby is back to herself, barking at her sister (Yazmin) & inviting her to play wrestle.
Nowt wrong with her now!
p1nkangel

Female
Number of posts : 614

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiretim on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:59 am

Glad to hear everything is fine, and the little miss piggy is back to her snuffling self. Thanks for the heads up on the product
Wiretim

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaziwal on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:53 pm

omg you poor thing, what a worry. Glad to hear she is back on fine form. Thanks for the info - most certainly won't be buying those!
kaziwal

Female
Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:33 am

OMG - You poor cow I bit you were worried sick!
I'm glad shes ok now - it could have been really nasty by the sounds of it. Its mad how she just snapped out of it - shes a tough little cookie! I never give Jade cooked bones as I've heard loads of horror stories about them - my friends alsatian was close to death when a fragment of bone split her stomach!! Jade loves rawhide which can also be a dangerous but shes always been fine and loves it so much!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by dieselboy on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:40 am

what a shame glad she is ok now x
dieselboy

Female
Number of posts : 351

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by p1nkangel on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:09 am