Rawhide

Go down

default Rawhide

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:42 am

Jade absolutely loves rawhide chews and shes always munching on them but I've heard bad things about them on other forums and a lot of people don't give them to their dogs due to the chance of choking. I have never given Jade a proper bone but shes always been ok with rawhide - what do you all prefer? Rawhide or regular bones?xx

Back to top Go down

default Re: Rawhide

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:50 am

Roxy always has regular bones. She has occasionally had a rawhide but only if I am about as she has choked once.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:05 am

I have always been scared to give Jade a normal bone as my friend's dog was really poorly when a shard of bone created a split in her stomach. What bones does she have?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:54 am

Roxy has large leg bones or knuckes. Raw bones should not splinter (but there always exceptions!)

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:46 am

As a vet nurse back home in Canada I witnessed untold emergencies involving blockage from rawhide and never have nor ever will give it to my dogs. Kane gets large raw beef bones from the butcher. They are not only safer but a whole lot cheaper as well. Raw bone also aids in keeping their teeth cleaner. Dogs as a general rule do not accumulate dental plaque until the age of 2 but it has been proven that dogs fed raw bones will have plaque free teeth for up to 7 years due to the enzymes in the bone content. Here is just 1 of many informative articles about feeding raw bones. http://rawfed.com/myths/bones.html
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:00 am

Thanks Deb, thats really helped - think I'll have to start stealing Jade's rawhide bones and replacing them with raw ones!! I assumed that raw hide was just as affective at removing plaque. Just shows - you learn something new everyday!
I'll have to pay a visit to the butchers!xx

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:05 am

I only pay 50p for a 2 large bones from my butcher. Do you feed any raw meat to your dog? If not, try to find bones with the most meat possible as the raw meat helps to aid in the digestion of the calcium and such in the bone and apparently they do not digest it properly without a portion of raw meat to go with it. Kane gets raw meat in every meal so I have no need to worry about him.
Deb
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:16 am

She doesn't have any raw meat at all! Do you think I may need to start introducing it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:18 am

A bit of raw meat is great for a dog. Roxy has raw chicken wings occasionally, raw chicken mince, raw steak, beef bones with raw meat on them.

This link is great:

http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/natural-feeding-tips/natural-feeding-for-dogs.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down