Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Licensing

4 posters

Go down

Licensing Empty Licensing

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:01 am

I know we have talked before about licensing. I am all for it personally and just wondered what other people thought would be a reasonable dog license fee. For me its difficult as I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and put something that I can't afford but I do feel that the fee should be high enough to stop just anyone being able to get one. I think if it is not too cheap it may stop the irresponsible owners bothering and therefore not having a dog in the first place.

What do you all think and do you think the fee should be a one off or an annual fee?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Licensing Empty Re: Licensing

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:36 am

I think an annual fee would do the trick in helping to prevent chavvies from having staffies just as a fashion statement and help to ensure that only responsible owners are able to have them.

I would pay whatever it took to try and cure the huge problem this country has with staffs being mistreated and dumped. I'm sure though, even with the licence fee in place, people would still slip through the net - I personally think its a losing battle and it'll take more than a licence fee to sort out.xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by ravenmaz Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:02 am

I'm all up for it too. It really bugs me that they have been on about this for ages but nothing been done, but yet they are now talking about us having to have a licence to buy ciggerettes and alcohol!!!!
It winds me up!!!
ravenmaz
ravenmaz

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DaisyBoo Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:47 am

There was a report on my local news about this last night after yet another kid got bitten.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_7280000/newsid_7280300?redirect=7280321.stm&news=1&nbwm=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1

They did a report about whether staffies are dangerous or make good pets after it though and talked about whether licences would help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_7280000/newsid_7280300?redirect=7280323.stm&news=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1&nbram=1&bbram=1

Thought you might like to look.
DaisyBoo
DaisyBoo

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:51 am

Aggghhh!! My speakers are broken on home and work pc so can't listen to it. Can someone sum it up for me please!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jodie Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:30 pm

i would gladly pay any licensing fees that are put in place and would be more than happy for both my dogs to be temprament tested. something needs to be done to stop the barage of irresponsible owners that have big, grand and powerful dogs as some kind of statement and continuously give these wonderful breeds bad names.

jodie

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by DaisyBoo Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:35 pm

roxystaffie wrote:Aggghhh!! My speakers are broken on home and work pc so can't listen to it. Can someone sum it up for me please!!

OK, here it is in a nutshell,

A 9 yr old boy was bitten when he was playing with what police describe as a 'staffordshire type bull terrier'. He had extensive facial injuries and has seen a plastic surgeon and been discharged. The dog's 18yr old owner has paid for the animal to be destroyed and was arrested for having a dangerous dog out of control. There's now fear in the community of dangerous dogs.
Then they speak to 2 people who describe chained up and stray dogs they're scared of. They say this is the latest in a series of dog attacks in the region and list 3, one of which is specified as a staffy.
Then they visit Benton Animal Shelter where they have lots of abandoned cross breed bull terriers and they say they 'want dog licences reintroduced because the old ones meant people had to register to keep a dog which means they've thought about it. A new kind of licence would make people think about owning a dog and act responsibly.'

On a happier note...

They visit Ben, a rescue staffy, who is 'mischievous, playful and under control and his best friend is 5 yr old Lewis who says 'he's clever, a good friend and doesn't hurt anyone. His owner says 'staffies are fantastic with children, notorious for looking after them and Ben once stopped Lewis from going near the road'. Someone from Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue says 'Lots of people give up their dogs when they are about to have children or when they hear scare stories on the news. Anyone can breed dogs without a licence so they'd be in favour of stronger laws to stop this.' Ben is not a dangerous dog and lovers of the breed say with the right care none of his kind should be.

About time someone gave a balanced argument if you ask me.

Catherine
DaisyBoo
DaisyBoo

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:10 am

Thank you for that hun.

Time to stop talking about it all and take action me thinks!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by howlinmadmurdoch Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:27 am

I think that a breeding licence might work, but I guess my main worry is that law-abiding dog lovers such as ourselves would certainly purchase a licence to breed / own, but that chavs etc just wouldn't bother, as there would always be illegal breeders / puppy mills out there to buy from. This could potentially lead to a situation where the very people that don't understand SBTs and how to train and look after them (or just don't care?) being the ones that are most likely to own a dog that is poorly cross-bred - maybe with agressive tendancies? How would it be policed?

I'm not against having a licence, just not sure that it would resolve the situation. I'd happily be persuaded!!!
howlinmadmurdoch
howlinmadmurdoch

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum