Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seperation Anxiety

Go down

Seperation Anxiety Empty Seperation Anxiety

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:08 am

When we first got Jadey she was terrified of absolutely everything and couldn't be left on her own. If she heard a gust of wind or a loud car exhaust she would really panic and I've had many sleepless nights with her.
She has come on leaps and bounds since then and is much more happy and confident. She used to refuse point blank to go for a walk at times and would jump and try and hide at the slightest nosie but now she will quite happily go out whenever she can and is better with all loud noises except fireworks which are still a problem.

She still has a massive issue with being left alone though. She goes to my OH's parents while we're at work and we only leave her alone if we absolutely have no other choice and even then its only for a maximum of a couple of hours.

Any other furry babies on here have issues?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Seperation Anxiety Empty Re: Seperation Anxiety

Post by Guest Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:20 am

Have you tried a DAP diffuser or spray?

See link:

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/erol.html#1X0
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:31 am

I deal with separation anxiety before it occurs so have no probs but I have helped others with dogs that they have already created it in or rescues whereas someone else has created the problem. I find that 1 of the biggest keys to the prob is not in the leaving but in the return itself. Most people tend to feel kinda guilty in having left their pet alone in the 1st place, they are a pack animal after all. But the mistake made is to overdo the reunion. If you make a big fuss when you come in and give loads of attention, pats and maybe even treats then the dog is stressing out the entire time from the moment you leave just because it's anticipating that big arrival. If you pay absolutely no attention at all for at least 10 minutes, then sit down and invite your dog over for a calm but brief hello. If they do not remain calm then walk away for another 5 mins or so and try again till you have success. You can also minimize the stress if you desensitize, go thru all the things that give your dog the cues that you are preparing to leave...keys, coats, shoes....then put them all away and go nowhere. I never even say goodbye to Kane as it will only set him up for failure. He just watches me walk away down the drive then he goes upstairs to bed. I hear his nails hit the floor as he jumps down when i come thru the door no matter how long I been gone.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: