Correcting

Go down

default Correcting

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:07 am

I snuck of to my local pet shop at lunch time and was talking to them about Roxy and her jumping up as its driving me nuts. They recommended this correction spray which lets out a jet of air as well as a pssst noise. What does everyone think of this. A bit unsure if this is the way to go?

Krissi

Back to top Go down

default Re: Correcting

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:16 am

I personally don't like methods like that - I'm sure it doesn't harm them but I don't like to see them scared and I think theres always another way to try first.

My sister is having the same problem with Tara, her 2 year old staffy. I suggested telling anybody that comes in that AS SOON AS Tara jumps up to completly ignore her and turn their back on her. They have been doing it for a while now and shes ALMOST there!! She has a couple of lapses every now and then but shes managed to figure out that the only way she'll get some attention is if both feet stay firmly on the ground!

The coreection spray will probably work really well but I'm just so soft when it comes to dogs and because of Jade being so nervous I hate to see dogs startled or scared.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:35 am

That was my thoughts, I know its similar to the stones on the bottle but I always think fear is not a good way to train a dog. Ignoring Roxy works in the short term but then she seems to forget and half an hour later she starts again. She never used to do it and as I say its driving me nuts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:58 am

Jade has never been a jumper - she gets really excited but even on the odd occasion she does jump up shes really gentle.
My sisters dog is half the size of Jade but she is really boistrous and can knock you over. She has left me with a fair few bruises so I know how it must be driving you mad!

Like I said, the compressed air will probably work really well if you can get your head around seeing her jump when you use it. I hate the use of the rattlers - the dogs look scared out of thier wits but in some circumstances its the only way of solving the problem.

Let me know how she does.xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:05 am

She caught my lodger with her head yesterday and has made his teeth loose so I am really trying to get on top of it as its just not on!! She spent the rest of the evening creeping round his feet trying to get him to forgive her. How can you resist. Could have been a little child though and knocked them into the road or anything so I have to do something about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:30 am

Have you ever read Marley and Me? They had the same problem with him but fixed the problem by kneeing him in the chest each time he jumped up!!!! Tad harsh me thinks!

Back to top Go down

Post by howlinmadmurdoch on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:06 am

Murdoch is a leaper. I'm almost constantly bruised in the leg area. That said, when I consistently remember to ignore him, he's fine.

I had a dog listener come round in September (Jan Fennell training, not Scary Cesar!!) and according to them, the pack reuniting is a key moment when the pack hierarchy is re-established. She may therefore be jumping up at you as an attempt to establish dominance. The way the dog listener taught me to deal with this is to completely ignore Murdoch when I get home (regardless of whether he is jumping or not). When Murdoch is calm, and has been for a little while (initially 5 minutes) then I can greet him, on my terms, when I'm ready. This has to be done forever - not just a temporary training gimmick. So you can see why I find it hard to be consistent - so hard not to immediately greet my furbaby after a long day at work!

In general I think that the dog listener method makes a lot of sense - Jan Fennell has released several books - check out amazon, or her own website http://www.janfennellthedoglistener.com/

Sorry for REALLY long post!

Amy x

PS - Murdoch has headbutted me before, so I totally understand the pain!!!
howlinmadmurdoch

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maddiesowner on Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:02 am

my Moms staff is just under 1 and she jumps up me and i tell her to sit and when she does i fuss her if she jumps up again i stop fussing her until she sits and it worked so that worth a try
maddiesowner

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:14 am

Hey,

I agree with Claire. My Staff hates the air sprays. Everyone at my obedience club kept using them when there dogs barked and now he hates the hall where the club is held. I think they can cause negative associations, e.g may associate you coming home to the spray.

Eric has grown out of it a little bit but will jump up on people when they come round. The people who he jumps up on are the ones who give him eye contact and put their arms down as if to stroke him! So when people put the arms down to stop him he thinks he's about to get a stroke!

The best thing to do is fold you arms and give no eye contact, turn around if neccessary. Give a fuss when they calm down but do the same if they jump up again!!

Amy's advice is good aswel. Did Murdoch used to get separation anxiety? Eric does and I have to ignore him when I get home, it's so hard! My friend who's a trainer explained that it's because he thinks I'm his baby and he's scared that I've got out all alone, in other words he's top dog!!

Rachel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by howlinmadmurdoch on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:19 am

Murdoch has always been ok when I leave, and I've never had any complaints from neighbours that he's been howling the place down. Some days he doesn't even surface from under the duvet as I leave. It's nice to know that he doesn't get upset!
howlinmadmurdoch

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum