Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guard Dogs?!

4 posters

Go down

Guard Dogs?! Empty Guard Dogs?!

Post by Rachel Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:30 am

Hi,

Does anybody think that Staffs make good guard dogs?

I have read two books on Staffs recently and one said yes, the other no.

I personally know that if anyone broke in my house during the day and I wasn't there, my Staff would be happy to see them!!

However, he is protective if someone knocks on the door at night and we are in!

I think he would protect me if anything were to happen but he doesn't particulary protect his house!

What do you guys think?

Rachel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Guard Dogs?! Empty Re: Guard Dogs?!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:32 am

I personally think staffs don't make good guard dogs. If someone broke in Roxy would slobber them to death. She will make a noise if she hears someone outside but it is definately not a noise of aggression. If she hears raised voices she gets very upset and starts licking the person shouting. I'd like to think she would protect me but luckily we have never had to test it. I'm not so sure though!!

Good question!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:34 am

My girls arent very good guard dogs, they would lick the perpetrator to death!

Dee

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:37 am

I used to be a domestic violence worker. Have had a lot of cases where the guy beating the woman would also attack the dog (as she loved it soo much) never had a case where the dog came of better (evil b****rds) so maybe they aren't good protectors unless trained to be?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:47 am

One book I read said Staffs should never be trained to be aggressive towards people because it's completely against their nature but the other said they could be involved in schutzhund training!!

Maybe the police force will start using Staffies to catch criminals by kissing them into submission!

Rachel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:51 am

If i see a staffy i always stop what I'm doing and go over for a staffy kiss so maybe police having them will reduce crime. Burglars stopping robbing for a speciall staffy cuddle!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by beedham3k4 Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:41 am

mine go mad if they hear something at night i have to let them out coz they have to make sure every thing is ok
beedham3k4
beedham3k4

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:57 am

Kane will bark at a noise outside but only after dark, in fact he only just started this about a week ago. I have it one of my books that a stafford owner, and dog trainer, took his dog for the day to a police academy to watch the GSD's doing sleeve work and after the class had some 1 on 1 work with the police trainer but when sent on the attack he went full board all the way to within 3 feet of the sleeve person and then came to a tail-wagging stop everytime and just wanted petting. This man figures attack training on a properly bred stafford can't be done. I know mine would offer to help carry the goods out the house for them.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:10 am

I always thought that Jade would be pants if we ever got burgled until a couple of weeks ago.

We went to bed and wedged the living room door cos otherwise it rattles and keeps me awake. I'd been asleep for about an hour when Jade jumped on top of me in her protective stance growling like a mad woman.

I couldn't here anything and thought she'd lost her marbles but she just wouldn't stop growling! I woke my OH up cos I was starting to get worried and he got out of bed to investigate. Jade jumped straight off the bed and charged downstairs ahead of Stu still growling and ready to pounce.

Turned out it was just the sound of the wedge falling out and the door opening! She wouldn't have shut up all night unless we got up and she could see there was nothing to worry about.

Was quite proud of her actually cos she can be a nervous little thing sometimes but she put her best brave face on!! (sorry bout the novel!! :D )
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down