Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discipline

+4
Admin
Rachel
kerri
Lucy
8 posters

Go down

Discipline Empty Discipline

Post by Guest Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:01 am

Just curious to see what people do when their staffs have been naughty?

Its rare Jade misbehaves and when she does I find it really hard to tell her off - she tries to jump up and lick me while wagging her tail like a mad woman!

I would never ever hit her - I don't believe this would achieve anything! I had a massive row with my OH's sister when she smacked her (not hard) for hurting her leg when she jumped on her! I wasn't happy at all - it felt like soemone had hit one of my children and I could of punched her!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Discipline Empty Re: Discipline

Post by Lucy Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:31 am

Bonnie and Max are sent to the sin bin which is basically outside. But now that we have a breeding kitten we have to keep them outside anyway so they just get shown what they have done and an argh! It is sufficient for both of them they are not that naughty.
Lucy
Lucy

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by kerri Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:03 am

I dont smack either of them i do raise my voice and point my finger and that does the trick
but everyone is different
kerri xx
kerri
kerri

Female
Number of posts : 528
Humor : I like to think its good
Registration date : 2008-02-13

http://Blazinstaff.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:25 am

I heard on another forum that when your dog is naughty you're supposed to pick it up and shake it like its mother would do as a puppy???!!!! Seems a bit extreme to me! All I have to do is lower my tone slightly and she knows shes in the dog house!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:10 am

I wouldn't shake mine!! I was always given the advice to ignore a naughty Staff or a firm 'No'!
I don't like using 'aggressive' techniques. I don't think it suits the breed, their too sensitive!!

Rachel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:11 am

I send Roxy out of the room after being told firmly no. Thats the worst punishment she could have is to be sent away she hates it and after about 10 mins she creeps back in the room looking at the floor! Bless have to forgive her :lol!:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:22 am

Its soooo hard to stay angry at them isn't it??!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:26 am

We have a jakes bed in the front room, If he is naughty I say bed! in a sharp voice and he knows when he has done wrong :pale:
Admin
Admin
Admin Team
Admin Team

Male
Number of posts : 282
Humor : Whats that :)
Registration date : 2008-01-30

http://bullbreeds.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:58 am

[quote="Rachel"]I wouldn't shake mine!! I was always given the advice to ignore a naughty Staff or a firm 'No'!
I don't like using 'aggressive' techniques. I don't think it suits the breed, their too sensitive!![/quote

I disagree. A Alpha dog would discipline by pinning it to the ground with a grip on the neck.

Kyle

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:03 pm

I know people that use pinning on their dogs and I don't think it brings out the best in a Stafford. I use other techniques to reinforce that I am the alpha, pinning just isn't neccessary.

One day you may find they decide to pin you back.

All a Staffy wants is love and attention, ignoring them for 5 minutes is their worst nightmare!

Rachel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:44 am

I believe that if you treat a dog with agression that exactly what you will get in return from them.

The only time I would use agressive disipline with Jade is if she went for someone.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by craigourstaffy Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:39 am

A firm NO or Who Done That is enough for Tess, then she'll either walk sadly away to her bed or sit and give me those really sad puppy eyes with a paw and when she does that i canny be angry with her for very long
craigourstaffy
craigourstaffy

Female
Number of posts : 232
Humor : off ma head...lol
Registration date : 2008-03-04

http://www.staffyclub.com/Ali_

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmz Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:21 am

a change in tone of voice or ingnoring them always seems to work for my lot

emma xx
Emmz
Emmz

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Rachel wrote:I know people that use pinning on their dogs and I don't think it brings out the best in a Stafford. I use other techniques to reinforce that I am the alpha, pinning just isn't neccessary.

One day you may find they decide to pin you back.

All a Staffy wants is love and attention, ignoring them for 5 minutes is their worst nightmare!

If a dog attempts to pin you back then you are not the pack leader.

Kyle

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:45 am

I understand the complexities of a pack. However, there is sometimes too much emphasis on this. My dog knows I am not a dog, it treats me differently to how it treats dogs. It knows that I am it's leader. I don't have to act like a dog by pinning it to teach it this.

I know people that act aggressively towards their dogs to keep them in their place. This is not needed in a well brought up Staff. They crave human attention more than a lot of other breeds and don't need harsh forms of punishment.

Does any other Staffy owner pin their dog when they misbehave?

Rachel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:47 am

Rachel wrote:I understand the complexities of a pack. However, there is sometimes too much emphasis on this. My dog knows I am not a dog, it treats me differently to how it treats dogs. It knows that I am it's leader. I don't have to act like a dog by pinning it to teach it this.

I know people that act aggressively towards their dogs to keep them in their place. This is not needed in a well brought up Staff. They crave human attention more than a lot of other breeds and don't need harsh forms of punishment.

Does any other Staffy owner pin their dog when they misbehave?

I must agree with you whole heartedly there Rachel - I have never had to "put jade in her place" - shes got a brill temerment and i dont have to use agression in any way to keep her in check. There is far too much emphasis on pack order.xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:50 am

No I have never and would never pin Roxy, I have never had the need to. I feel that it is essential that you can teach a dog by verbal commands and body language, that way guests in my home or those that interact with Roxy can also give her commands when appropriate. I think my friends would get me sectioned if i told them to pin her down if she misbehaved.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by howlinmadmurdoch Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:19 am

I would never pin Murdoch. If he is naughty, then I ignore him and shut him away from wherever I am. Within seconds he is crying at the door to get back to me. I try and remain hardhearted enough to leave him, a couple of minutes is usually all either of us can take!
howlinmadmurdoch
howlinmadmurdoch

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum