Hi from Dublin

Go down

default Hi from Dublin

Post by kazza on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi everyone,

My name's Karen and I'm involved with a rescue called Friends Of Ben here in Ireland that try to help the restricted breeds in the pounds over here. My staffy Millie is a rescue dog that came into the pound before Christmas, completely emaciated and covered in pressure sores. I was only supposed to be fostering her until she was well enough to go onto a forever home. She's been through the mill, bless her. Just as she started to gain some weightt she tore her cruciate ligament, and then shortly after that we found a mammary tumour so she had to be spayed and have a mammary gland removed!!! After all that I couldn't possibly let her go, and funnily enough once I adopted her all the health problems stopped, so I reckon she was doing it to stay here longer

Here's her before photos....

And here's a couple of more recent ones.

Delighted to have found this forum. Staffies in Ireland aren't the most popular of dogs and the pounds tend to be overrun with them, so it's nice to be around like minded people who realise what fantastic dogs these are.

As well as Miss Millie, I'm also fostering a gorgeous little guy called Sandy at the moment. I may become a failed fosterer with him too - he's too cute for words. He's got a broken pelvis from being knocked down by a car but is making a great recovery and Millie just adores him.

Here's a couple of pics of him.

Look forward to reading all the posts on here.

Karen, Millie & Sandy.
kazza

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Hi from Dublin

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:22 pm

Nice Introduction! Thats not the same dog is it A very BIG Welcome to you! Keep up your hard work

Admin Team
Admin Team

Male
Number of posts : 282
Humor : Whats that :)
Registration date : 2008-01-30

View user profile http://bullbreeds.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:01 am

Welcome Karen. How empassioned are you! Poor, poor Millie....amd hundreds of others who are thrown away due to ignorant people, etc. and poor legislation that disallows some to even keep their pets. Both Millie and Sandy are very cute and you are an example of why I could never do foster....I would want them all. Eventually your house will be full and with absolutely no way to keep another you can then just get down to fostering and placing them in forever homes. Keep sending us pics of the ones you help as well as your own. Thanks for joining.

Deb
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kazza on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:59 am

Oh well seeing as you asked (never one to miss an opportunity to post pics of the doglets!!!) Here's a few pics of some of the foster dogs I've had.

This is Cassa, my first foster dog, and she completely stole my heart. I fostered her for about 2 months I think and got very attached. If she had been a little more tolerant of other dogs I would definitely have kept her. She's gone to a great home in the UK now though - cried for 2 days after she left

Next came Bruce and Phoebe. These two were such fun. Bruce was just a big gentle giant with the biggest staffy head ever!! The vets nicknamed him fathead! Phoebe was 5 months old and a little minx She was such a cheeky little puppy and I don't know how Bruce put up with her pestering him the whole time, but he just loved her.
Here's the handsome Bruce.

And the little minx...

While I had Bruce and Phoebe I got roped into taking a 3rd foster dog for a weekend, Sammy. Beautiful looking dog but no training whatsoever. She just bounced the whole time.

After Bruce and Phoebe I told myself I'd take a break from fostering for a while as we were in the process of setting up a new business and life was pretty hectic... until Troy turned up in the pound. I just couldn't resist those eyes!
He was a lab staff x. Absolutely gorgeous dog but a complete nutter!!!! My house was wrecked by the time he left

He went to a smashing home, the first of my foster dogs to stay relatively close by so I get regular updates on him which is great.

After Troy I wasn't in a position to foster again. Then Millie turned up in the pound on the 23rd December and as I was off for Christmas I said I'd take her for a couple of weeks, and the rest as they say is history lol.

Since I've had Millie I've fostered the following:

Fatso (wasn't her real name but she'll always be known as Fatso to me lol)

[img][/img]

Then came Freeway - he looks cute, but he was such a grumpy little chap lol. Loved him though, his grumpiness gave him personality.

And now I have Sandy who is in the first lot of pictures. That's the fostering story so far :D
kazza

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:21 am

OMG Karen - you like to keep yourself busy!!

I really admire all that you have done. Its something that I would love to do as I imagine that you get great satisfaction from transforming these poor little things and sending them to new forever homes - I just think I would get far too attached to each one and wouldn't be able to part with them!
I can't beleive how you transformed Millie - it really sounds like shes had it tough - well done for taking these poor babies in - please keep us updated!!xx

Back to top Go down

Post by kerri on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:30 am

welcome to the forum
god you are one busy lady
well done for all your hard work it must be so heart breaking though
kerri

Female
Number of posts : 528
Humor : I like to think its good
Registration date : 2008-02-13

View user profile http://Blazinstaff.com

Back to top Go down

Post by p1nkangel on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:22 pm

Phew! I'm knackered just reading it all! Welcome aboard Karen & thanks for the lovely intro & pix! You do a fantastic job!
p1nkangel

Female
Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2008-04-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum