Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog carrying weights

3 posters

Go down

Dog carrying weights Empty Dog carrying weights

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:35 am

I was driving through Birmingham City Centre the other day on my way home from work and I passed a guy walking 2 dogs - a mastiff and a staff - with weights hanging from them. They were hooked over their back like a saddle and looked quite heavy.

The dogs looked relatively healthy - its just something I have never seen before and I thought it looked a bit suss - anyone else ever heard of this?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Dog carrying weights Empty Re: Dog carrying weights

Post by nikki_kev Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:37 am

Dogs with weights on as back packs? Sounds like a training aid for fighting dogs.
Weight pulling is very different and dogs compeate in weight pulling competitions.
x
nikki_kev
nikki_kev

Female
Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by beedham3k4 Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:04 pm

sounds a bit odd to me
beedham3k4
beedham3k4

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:26 am

Exactly what I thought! As soon as I saw them I thought he was training them for fighting - they were both very very muscular dogs. I haven't seen him since.x
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:20 am

Shame, shame you guys. Now you're thinking like the average person instead of staffy owners. Weights have been used when exercising dog for ages, although I have never seen them just draped over the dog before, and I have used them myself inside a dog backpack. You have to start off light of course and work your way up but what it does is turn your regular walk into more work in order to build more muscle and stamina in the same amount of time and distance as that regular walk. Same reason you see people walking with small weights in their hands. Just another of those things the fighting people have seen and capitalized on and now everyone who see's it goes "Ah, a fighting dog in training". Not necessarily so.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:48 am

i totally agree Engladian, its the same the with the springpole... people think if you train your dog on that your training it to fight... i use mine to keep my dog in shape.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:07 am

engladian wrote:Shame, shame you guys. Now you're thinking like the average person instead of staffy owners. Weights have been used when exercising dog for ages, although I have never seen them just draped over the dog before, and I have used them myself inside a dog backpack. You have to start off light of course and work your way up but what it does is turn your regular walk into more work in order to build more muscle and stamina in the same amount of time and distance as that regular walk. Same reason you see people walking with small weights in their hands. Just another of those things the fighting people have seen and capitalized on and now everyone who see's it goes "Ah, a fighting dog in training". Not necessarily so.

Dog carrying weights 66883 Sorry Deb - in hindsight we should've known better! He did look like a very dodgy character though!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum