Warning garden product poisonus to dogs & cats

Go down

default Warning garden product poisonus to dogs & cats

Post by kerri on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:08 am

Cocoa Mulch

This message came to one of the groups from Ali Taylor, Head of
Welfare, Battersea DH. They gave permission for it to be passed on.
Quote:
Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family. Please tell every dog owner you know. Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way.
The next day, Mum woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly. Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats. Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it." Also included was the following information -
Quote:
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other
Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine". It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of
caution, check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what our gardeners are using in your gardens. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the
stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!

avatar
kerri

Female
Number of posts : 528
Age : 39
Location : scotland
Humor : I like to think its good
Reputation : 3
Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-02-13

View user profile http://Blazinstaff.com

Back to top Go down

default Re: Warning garden product poisonus to dogs & cats

Post by mikka on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:23 am

Have crossposted thios to nmews flash on alfies
avatar
mikka

Number of posts : 71
Age : 48
Location : kent
Reputation : 0
Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Warning garden product poisonus to dogs & cats

Post by kerri on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:35 am

mikka wrote:Have crossposted thios to nmews flash on alfies

Glad to be of help
could not beleive it when i read this ... poor dog
avatar
kerri

Female
Number of posts : 528
Age : 39
Location : scotland
Humor : I like to think its good
Reputation : 3
Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-02-13

View user profile http://Blazinstaff.com

Back to top Go down

default Re: Warning garden product poisonus to dogs & cats

Post by skippy on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:36 am

Read this about 2 years back. Its scary where dangers can lie.

skippy

Number of posts : 29
Age : 40
Location : NZ
Reputation : 0
Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-02-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Warning garden product poisonus to dogs & cats

Post by kerri on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:20 am

i was going to put mulch down in my garden a while back so glad i decided on stones
avatar
kerri

Female
Number of posts : 528
Age : 39
Location : scotland
Humor : I like to think its good
Reputation : 3
Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-02-13

View user profile http://Blazinstaff.com

Back to top Go down

default Re: Warning garden product poisonus to dogs & cats

Post by bullyboi on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:34 pm

sound advice!! . . there is also a canine toxicology table somewhere i will try and remember to dig it out
avatar
bullyboi

Male
Number of posts : 20
Age : 43
Location : Plymouth
Humor : dark
Reputation : 0
Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-02-19

View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/staffacination

Back to top Go down

default Re: Warning garden product poisonus to dogs & cats

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum