Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flaxseed

3 posters

Go down

Flaxseed Empty Flaxseed

Post by Guest Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:59 am

I finally got around to buying some flaxseed capsules for Jadey - 500mg ones from Holland & Barratt. I just need to know whether to give her 1 or 2 capsules per day.xx Flaxseed 126367
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Flaxseed Empty Re: Flaxseed

Post by nikki_kev Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:00 am

I was going to buy some of this today, but wan't sure what to get etc It's supposed to help with their skin etc isn't it?

x
nikki_kev
nikki_kev

Female
Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:24 am

Claire I buy the 1000mg caps and give 1 a day to kane.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:41 am

So 2 500mgs then - thanks Deb. I saw the 1000mg but wasn't sure so I opted for the lower strength just in case!

Yes Nikki, they come in capsules which you just split and add to food - its supposed to help with their skin and make their coats nice and shiny.xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:50 am

Not all dogs can stomach it so watch for tummy upset. You may experience a day or 2of loose stools but not diarrhea due to the oils being added but no more than that. Most can handle it fine and it's a far easier oil for them to utilize than sardine oils and the like. Kane is a glutton and doesn't chew a thing so I don't bother splitting it open but I don't think they mind either way as Jett doesn't chew her food either but did chew the capsule the 1st time she had it, spitting it out several times before finally eating. Now it goes down whole like everything else. Much easier that way.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:12 am

I might just try plonking it in with her food whole then - shes really good now with her food and it lasts no longer than five seconds so she shouldn't notice it.xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by nikki_kev Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:45 am

I brought the actual oil from sainsburys and just drizzle a teaspoon on their food. Will see for the results...

x
nikki_kev
nikki_kev

Female
Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by skippy Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:39 am

I used to use it but to be honest couldn't see any difference. I think if you feed well you probably wont. I don't bother with it now.

skippy

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:14 am

I feed a very good dry foos as well as raw meat, egg, yogurt, veggies, kelp & a mix of other supplements and I still notice a difference when I stopped using flaxseed for awhile. Every dog is different but for the most part I have always got comments about Kanes coat and asked what I give him.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Back to top Go down

Post by skippy Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:44 pm

I always get comments without using it and when I did it didn't seem to make a difference. Any type of supplement is only going to help if they are lacking something to begin with. It probably comes down to breeding and what exactly is in the foods you may feed your dogs. Most "good" dog foods are notoriously not very "good".

skippy

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down