Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

operation after care

3 posters

Go down

operation after care Empty operation after care

Post by ClaireF Fri May 09, 2008 3:53 pm

Hello, I'm new here and have been a bit busy with my dog recently so apologies for not introducing myself. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for keeping my staffie cross calm, yes CALM! while he recovers from knee surgery. Its only been 3 days and he's already causing trouble and pulling hard on the lead. He's only allowed out of the cage for a few minutes at a time and its supposed to be in a calm and controlled way. I'm under strict instructions from the vet. However Dudley just wants to run for the hills. I cant really blame him but its not going to help him physically. Any suggestions? I've tried the food filled Kongs but he cant hold them because of the wide collar he has to wear while the stitches heal. We have another 5 weeks to go yet!

I'd be very grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks
ClaireF
ClaireF

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

operation after care Empty Re: operation after care

Post by engladian Fri May 09, 2008 4:12 pm

I haven't tried it but I have heard valerian tablets work well for calming. I have seen it said by other stafford owners that they get it from the health food store and they recommended a couple tabs a day. It is a natural product. Might be worth looking into. It's hard to give in when they are restricted to crate and they cry to be let out but you have to do whats best for them.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by diglet Mon May 12, 2008 5:02 am

Shyna had a cruciate ligament torn and she had to have 6 week rest. She had to be kept separate from the other dogs and i slept downstairs with her for the first 2 wks, then me & my Hubby carried her up & downstairs as she sleeps in our bed, It is a nightmare trying to keep them still but we kept Shyna on a lead when she went out for a wee, We gave her plenty of toys & treats to keep her still on the settee But She's a couch potato anyway.Plus i don't work so have 24/7 with her. Its been over a year now and she still cannot run around if she does she limps so we go on long slow walks so she doesn't over do it. We have bought her a magnetic collar also i think it helps her. good luck its a slow process but they are worth it.

diglet

Female
Number of posts : 16
Humor : Stafford's are just like chocolates you just can't have one
Registration date : 2008-04-08

http://www.haigstaff.piczo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 12, 2008 5:22 am

I use Valerian for Jade's nerves and it seems to do the trick. Its not a miracle cure but it seems to take the edge off a bot for her. I'm not sure whether it would help in your situation but its worth a go. I get mine from the website below:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=24&pf_id=3466

Hope this helps.xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum