Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hey information greatfull

5 posters

Go down

hey information greatfull Empty hey information greatfull

Post by mrsp86 Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:29 pm

hi im lynn and have been on the phone today to evie crocker regarding one of her staffies for rehoming . i have told her i will take one as its time is up in the kennels and it will be put to sleep . it is a stray and i have 3 kids 7 2 and 1 how would you introduce it into the family and how do these dogs get on with kids kirsty has given me the add to get more info thanks
mrsp86
mrsp86

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-07-03

http://lynn.palmer.86@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

hey information greatfull Empty Re: hey information greatfull

Post by nikki_kev Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:07 pm

Hello and welcome!

I would introduce the dog slowly - her new life will be very daunting for her, so take things slowly. Make sure she has an area where she can go and feel safe. A crate is a great idea, maybe place a towel over it, so it feels saver for her.

Start off by introducing your older child, let your 7yr old offer her a few treats - just take everything slowly - if the dog doesn't want to come over, don't let the kids go over to her. If she's not coming over it's for a reason, she may well be nervous. When she does finally approach you and the 7yr old, give her treat and tell her she's a good girl (I have just assumed it's a girl lol)

Do the same with your two year old etc...it's important the kids don't scare her on the first few introductions.

x
nikki_kev
nikki_kev

Female
Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by p1nkangel Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:42 am

hey information greatfull 39290 Lynn & welcome aboard. Its fantastic that you have chosen to rescue a staffy! I don't have any advice for you unfortunately as I've never rescued a dog before but I'm sure lots of advice & help will follow as above by nikki_kev.
p1nkangel
p1nkangel

Female
Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:21 am

Hi Lynne!
Well done for choosing a rescue dog - I am sure you wont regret it. I also have a rescue staff but no kids so didn't really have to worry. Jade is fantastic with children though and follows my nieces and nephews all around the place wanting to play. When my friend comes round with his 2 year old daughter Jade is very gentle with her and will even let her play with her beloved balls without getting rough.
Hope all goes well Lynne - please keep us updated and show us some pics if you have time.xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:22 am

Hi Lynn and welcome. hey information greatfull 39290 Try to remember this dog has been through some unknown circumstances and you will undoubtedy face a few challenges along the way. Teaching your children to respect the dog is as important as it is for the dog to respect them. Like Nikki said, a crate is an excellent idea. This becomes the dogs "bedroom" that it will come to realize is a safe place to go to get away for a little time out and the kids need to be taught if it goes in there they are to keep out and leave it alone while it rests. Many children pester a dog without realizing it and alot of bites occur because the dog had no place to retreat to. Given the choice a dog would rather retreat than bite usually. There are loads of sites with info on kids and dogs.... read, read, read. Here is a link to a good book on the subject of integrating a rescue dog into your family.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Adopted-Dog-Everything-Rescuing/dp/1599210479
Good luck with your new dog. hey information greatfull 126367
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsp86 Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:19 am

hi thanks for the replies i think im going to get a crate so the dog has his own space. ill put it in my room . im going to get lots of toys as seemingly lots of these breed like to chew.
mrsp86
mrsp86

Back to top Go down

Post by dieselboy Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:20 am

they sure do ..diesel loves eating my plugs from tv and stuff
dieselboy
dieselboy

Female
Number of posts : 351

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsp86 Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:27 am

lol where you from im really excited now
mrsp86
mrsp86

Back to top Go down

Post by dieselboy Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:37 am

im from kirskcaldy but staying in glenrothes the now while my new house gets done up.....
dieselboy
dieselboy

Female
Number of posts : 351

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down