Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maternal Instincts??

4 posters

Go down

Maternal Instincts?? Empty Maternal Instincts??

Post by Lucy Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:57 am

Hi there,

I'm wondering if somebody will be able to give me some insite into this but Bonnie our female staffy who is just under 2 years old now has taken to a stuffed toy donkey and is licking it clean constantly and moving it around to face her belly for some reason. Previously she used to shred these donkeys to bits (brought a huge bag for laughs).

There is no possibility of her being pregnant recently since her last mating was not sucessful since Bonnie and Dexter my brother staffy played tug-o-war all day long and she couldnt stand his rooster noises! And that was a good 4-5 months ago...

Our male Max is nuetered and very protective of her so we know no other dog has been in the yard otherwise they would be stuck in a corner still.

Any ideas! Shes also become very very sooky which is not like her she is normally full of beans! and has to be corrected for jumping but not the last 2 days...

Cheers
Lucy
Lucy
Lucy

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Maternal Instincts?? Empty Re: Maternal Instincts??

Post by nikki_kev Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:14 am

Have you taken her to the vets to get checked? She may be having a phantom pregnancy.

x
nikki_kev
nikki_kev

Female
Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:24 am

Is she in season?

Kyle

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:39 am

Hi Kyle,

She is not in season she has about another month and a bit before she will be on heat again. I'm thinking of taking her to the vet really soon, shes not hurting or anything its just shes gone really really sappy and mum like :)

Not sure either if it could be because we got a new kitten recently which we have had to give a lot of attention to because it has cat flu... thats another story the kitten is being returned to the breeder on the weekend and I am absolutely disgusted with the breeder. But back to Bonnie yeah not sure if this is just attention seeking either but its a bit weird if it is.

Also we noticed this morning that she is not eating her usual intake of food either she will eat a little and then let Max eat the remainder? Very unusual for Bonnie who has been growling for about 2 months now copying max's example at brekky.. We also have had to heat up her chicken wings which is not normal for her too... This one has me beat and shes not gaining or loosing weight either...

Last edited by Lucy on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
Lucy
Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:56 am

Sounds very much like phantom pregnancy behaviour to me.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:05 am

Thanks for the advice, we are going to take her to the vet on the weekend, made an appointment today.
Lucy
Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum