Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Itchy Jadey!!

4 posters

Go down

Itchy Jadey!! Empty Itchy Jadey!!

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:44 am

I came home last night to see Jade looking a bit miserable. Itchy Jadey!! 87783 My OH pointed out several little lumps that his mom had noticed. They weren't there on the morning and about ten of them had popped up all over her during the course of the day. They are about the size of a pea and are very itchy but don't seem painful. I called the vet and she reckons that its an allergic reaction to something. I went out and got some Piriton and calamine lotion to ease the itch. After her half a tablet she seemed to settle a little (until the thunder storm of course!) Itchy Jadey!! 604305

I have no idea what could have caused the reaction - the only thing that has changed is the flaxseed oil that I now give her with her meals - shes had it for about a week now - do you think this is what it could be?
She hasn't been anywhere different and hasn't eaten anything else as far as we know - its driving her mad the poor little thing! Itchy Jadey!! 53705
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Itchy Jadey!! Empty Re: Itchy Jadey!!

Post by howlinmadmurdoch Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:59 am

Yikes - that sounds really uncomfortable.

I'd guess the thing to do is to stop giving Jade the flaxseed and see if it clears up. Process of elimination, although if that's the only thing that's changed recently, it's probably the cause. Unless she's gone hurtling through long grass or similar and picked up a different type of pollen or something?
howlinmadmurdoch
howlinmadmurdoch

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:02 am

She loves legging it through the long grass at the park but shes been through it hundreds of times! I spent my evening scratching her all over and she spent the morning chasing her tail trying to scratch the spot on it! Itchy Jadey!! 422549
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by howlinmadmurdoch Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:05 am

Hahahaa! I love it when Murdoch chases his tail - doesn't know what to do with it when he catches it!

Probably not the grass then - in all likelihood it's the flaxseed?
howlinmadmurdoch
howlinmadmurdoch

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:17 am

Took Jade to the vets last night and they confirmed that she has had an allergic reaction to something. They gave her a steroid injection and 5 days worth of tablets which will hopefully sort her out! She is so uncomfortable bless her and the ones on her legs and feet are starting to get sore cos she keeps messing with them. Fingers crossed they clear up soon.xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by nikki_kev Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:20 am

Oh poor jade!!! Hope she feels better soon. Have they run tests to find out what she is allergic too so you can maybe avoid it in the future?

x
nikki_kev
nikki_kev

Female
Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:40 am

No they haven't - the vet said that its pretty common and she'll probably never have it again - we'll never know what the reaction was to. I'm going to leave the flaxseed oil off for a bit then start giving it to her again as the vet was doubtful that this was the cause - if she flares up again we'll know for sure.xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by dieselboy Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:43 am

i hope she gets better soon..xx
dieselboy
dieselboy

Female
Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by nikki_kev Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:20 am

My two have been on flaxseed oil for a week now and dixie esp has benifited from it. Her coat is a lot softer and her skin isn't dry anymore. Itchy Jadey!! 673667

x
nikki_kev
nikki_kev

Female
Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:27 am

If they have a reaction to flaxseed its usually in the form of stomach upset. Have never heard of them breaking out in hives from it. Even a bite from a midge or 2 can cause an allerdic reaction and an all over outbreak. Glad the flaxseed oil is benefitting your 2 nikki.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:39 am

I personally dont think it was the flaxseed. The lumps have all gone down a bit now and aren't driving her mad anymore. I'll leave it for a little bit and then I'll chance the flaxseed again and see how she gets on.

How did your trip go Deb - did you fall in love with Serenity and did you miss Kane and Jett much?!xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:39 am

Missed my pups loads Claire but I did get to see and talk to them on webcam and the phone, enough to drive Michael mad with them looking for me afterwards. Itchy Jadey!! 673667 Serenity is an Itchy Jadey!! 221754 and I hated to leave without a doubt.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down