Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The beautiful weather

+3
Admin
Staffy_Jake
engladian
7 posters

Go down

The beautiful weather Empty The beautiful weather

Post by engladian Wed May 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Was such a gorgeous day yesterday that I got out in the garden to cut the grass, etc in the morning. Of course Kane was running around a bit with his 2nd fave toy, the Robinsons juice bottle. The nice weather has a down side that you should all be aware of especially during this time of year. While the temperatures go up in Spring it remains humid and not dry heat as in summer and this can be just as dangerous if not more due to the fact that people are not aware because it doesn't seem that hot. But humidity along with heat can actually cause suffocation and heat stroke in dogs quite quickly. Poor Kane suffered a mild bout of it yesterday and wouldn't hold down his food and seemed poorly in general till after a cool down in the tub and laying on the cool floor till the evening. So be aware, even though it doesn't seem that hot out.
Deb
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

The beautiful weather Empty Re: The beautiful weather

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2008 1:03 am

Poor Kane, I kept thinking about him last night, poor little man! How is he this morning?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Thu May 08, 2008 1:28 am

He was fine by about 6 for his dinner and kept it down and then was playful again about 9. So was just a mild bout of it but it sure didn't take much to overheat. We went out there just before noon and he only ran around lightly for about 15 mins then just followed me in and out of the house for another 15 while I was repairing the lawn mower. He even spent some of that time in the shade. By the time I was halfway done the back grass he had disappeared into the house for good, already feeling ill. Back to his old self this morn but it's gonna be even hotter today so only relaxing indoors today for him.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy_Jake Thu May 08, 2008 6:37 am

Aww poor Kane, Jake dosen't seem to be too bad as yet as he lays flat on his belly on the wooden flooring and always has plenty of fresh water down.

I am not liking the heat too much myself this year due to being pregnant and can't wait for it all to be over.

Jakes favourite toy seems to be plastic bottles too at the moment so I take the oppurtunity to fill them with water so it cools him down too.
Staffy_Jake
Staffy_Jake

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 09, 2008 2:41 am

Awww bless, poor Kane!! I'm glad hes recovered ok. I've had a few days off work at home with Jadey which was lovely - she spent her days going out into the garden and sunbathing for ten minutes then coming into the house to cool down before going back out again to sun worship for a bit longer!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri May 09, 2008 4:40 am

I made the mistake yesterday to take jake for a gentle walk before I went to work, only out about 20 mins or so and boy when we got back he was very hot and panting like a steam train, so I will have to take him out early morning in future or late everning.
Admin
Admin
Admin Team
Admin Team

Male
Number of posts : 282
Humor : Whats that :)
Registration date : 2008-01-30

http://bullbreeds.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by maddiesowner Fri May 09, 2008 10:26 am

Maddie suffers really badly from heat stroke. We took her for a walk once in october it wasn't too cold but she pulled that much on her lead we had to rush her to vets where her temp was 41. The vet said if a dog over heats put cold wet towels on them and open windows this will cool them down
maddiesowner
maddiesowner

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Sun May 11, 2008 12:56 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know...it wasn't the heat after all that made Kane sick. A few days before that I had gone on a slug and snail killing spree with the table salt. Between the salt and the sun they had dried up and now I see that they are missing. The beautiful weather 671948 And being the sneaky little piggy he is, Kane ate them! The salt had made him very ill and had brought on vomitting. So a lesson learned for me and I thought I would share that bit of info with all of you.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Back to top Go down

Post by diglet Sun May 11, 2008 2:00 pm

A quick tip i always carry around lemon juice th one shaped like a lemon if your dog starts looking over heated a quick squirt in the mouth really helps it makes them salivate which is a good thing but i walk them morning & evening never between 11/3 just too hot

diglet

Female
Number of posts : 16
Humor : Stafford's are just like chocolates you just can't have one
Registration date : 2008-04-08

http://www.haigstaff.piczo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 12, 2008 3:46 am

Thats a good idea.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by maddiesowner Sun May 18, 2008 2:08 pm

That good tip cuz maddie pulls so much even on a cold day she can over heat. I only walk her early morning in hot weather and she can only manage around the block. She gets ready excited in car i open windows but would really like to take her away but she pants too much any tips for that. I am going to ask vet but thought i'd ask The beautiful weather 346295
maddiesowner
maddiesowner

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Wed May 28, 2008 3:07 pm

You can buy a cool it bandanna soak it in water and I think it keeps the water longer than any random bandanna and wrap that round the neck. Ice cubes are good to, in hot weather training you can use them as treats for good behaviour - 2 birds in one stone!

Kyle

Number of posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Prototype Thu May 29, 2008 12:15 am

Good tips thanks guys, Deb i am glad he is ok after his ordeal lol.
Prototype
Prototype

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down