Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WARNING - Icky subject!!

3 posters

Go down

WARNING - Icky subject!! Empty WARNING - Icky subject!!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:34 am

I'm really sorry about this but had to ask!!

Since we had Jade 15 months ago every now and then (only every month or so) she omits a really vile smell and leaves like a discharge where she sits. Sometimes its clear and sometimes its a bit brown but it always has the same very pungent smell which makes me heave!!!
The first time it happened I thought she was coming into season but we've since found out shes been done.
I thought it was her emptying her anal glands or something so I wasn't really worried but my mother in law said she read about a dog that had an abcess up their bum and it used to weep smelly stuff out of it.

Anyone else heard of this or had it happen with their bitches?xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

WARNING - Icky subject!! Empty Re: WARNING - Icky subject!!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:55 am

If you had just said a smell I would have said perhaps emptying her anal glands. Discharge can be a sign of pyometra although this is not going to be the case as she has been done. I would definately mention it to the vets though. Quite often if you just phone up and explain they will tell you whether its cause for concern.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by philndeb76 Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:08 am

When a dog empties it's anal glands sometimes it can leave a small discharge, but i would definitely see your vet.
philndeb76
philndeb76

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:00 am

Does she ever scoot her bum on the carpet as if its itchy? This can be an indication of impacted anal glands. If she is a regular "scooter" and has probs on and off with the glands there is a possibility the glands can get infected. If you think she has regular probs with her glands it may be that she is not getting enough fiber in her diet. You can tell if she needs more fiber or not by the hardness of her stools. Poops that are usually somewhat soft (not mushy tho) do not put enough pressure on the anal glands as she has a movement. Need to have fairly solid poos, if you know what I mean, but not to the point of straining in constipation.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:04 am

She does scoot across the floor quite a bit but her poos seem nice and solid. She has Arden Grange food which I am told is high quality and should give her all the nutrients she needs. Shes due for a worming tab soon so I will mention it to the vet when I go. Thanks Deb, you really are a fountain of doggy knowledge!! xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:10 am

Worms do not cause scooting. Even though Kane is fed an excellent raw diet, he seems to be in need of some extra fiber from time to time and I usually give him some bran added to his food every once in awhile and it seems to do the trick. I buy it in the baking or organic section at Asda and just mix in a couple tablespoons to his meal about once a month. Before this he seemed to scoot quite a bit too.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Back to top Go down

Post by p1nkangel Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:09 pm

Hiya Claire, any word on Jade & her icky issue? Hope she's alright & it's nowt serious. xo
p1nkangel
p1nkangel

Female
Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 12, 2008 5:43 am

Well, I took Jadey for her long overdue vets appointment!!

She had her worming tab, vaccination, ear drops for the start of an ear infection and she also had her ananl glands done!!
It wasn't too pleasant for anyone in the room, especially Jadey - it stank!! The vet said that they weren't too bad but needed emptying - so no more smelly bum for Jadey!! She has scooched and bit on the carpet but I think she just might've had an itch!!

I also spoke to the vet about her weight as Deb (Engladian) and I thought that her excess weight may have been down to thyroid problems or maybe diabetes. She said that she is overweight at 23kg but she isn't massively concerned as she seems healthy and lively. She said to cut her food down and carry on with the excercise and hopefully she should trim up but she needs to do it slowly. I have now started measuring her food out properly based on the weight she should be instead of just whacking it in the bowl and cut the amount down quite a bit. So fingers crossed!!

£52 later, Jadey's MOT was complete!!!xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 12, 2008 6:13 am

Really glad all went well Claire!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by engladian Mon May 12, 2008 7:56 am

Glad to hear there is no underlying health probs and now you know it's down to yours and the OH's willpower not to give her treats. Its so hard when they are used to something and give you the pleading soft brown eyes. So looking forward to some pics of the new lean machine Jade in the future.
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Back to top Go down

Post by p1nkangel Tue May 13, 2008 2:19 am

Kool Claire! Glad to hear Jadey's sorted. The whole cleaning out of the anal glands...I don't want to seem disgusting but I'm intrigued as to how this works as its sounding more like Angel is going to somehow need hers done.... xo
p1nkangel
p1nkangel

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 13, 2008 3:27 am

I couldn't really see much as I was holding her head and trying to calm her down a bit!! It took a matter of minutes! Apparently her anal glands were the size of a pea but some doggies go in with anal glands the size of grapes!! Aparently they sit just inside the bum and they just need to be gently expressed!! Not a very nice job for the vet first thing in the morning!!! WARNING - Icky subject!! 975985
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by p1nkangel Sat May 17, 2008 7:35 am

Thanks Claire, well Angel got hers done this morning WARNING - Icky subject!! 975985 WARNING - Icky subject!! 422549 She didn't have much in there the vet said but it stank! Eugh! lol
p1nkangel
p1nkangel

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down