Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Angel had to go to vets again - sore ear...

2 posters

Go down

Angel had to go to vets again - sore ear... Empty Angel had to go to vets again - sore ear...

Post by p1nkangel Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:08 pm

On Thursday I had to get an appointment that evening for Angel at the vet. Her right ear was hanging low and it was obvious that she had a sore ear, stemming from her overall allergy issues.

So off we went and the vet gives ear drops, antibiotics and two injections. Now the injections were administered without discussing them with me first, and me not being a vet just made the very stupid assumption that they were antibiotics to start her off then she would start taking her tablet antibiotics the following day. Last time we were at vet for her sore ear they gave her an antibiotic injection then so I didn't think anything of it.

The vet had taken a look at her case notes and discussed her scratching and allergies with me, I remember now that he did ask me if she had been given any steriod injections before and I said no and it was left at that because I had Yazmin along with me and I was holding her lead whilst holding Angel on the examonation table (they go everywhere together)

Well after checking the receipt I got yesterday, I have found that the vet has given her a steriod injection Angel had to go to vets again - sore ear... 277168 without consulting me first Angel had to go to vets again - sore ear... 227364 I didn't want to go down the steriod route as it isn't a long term resolution to her problems and it can affect her immune system and its already low with her condition.

I am livid to say the least! How could this have happened? How dare the vet do this without firstly telling me that it was a steroid! All I was told was that one injection was an antibiotic and the other was to help stop her itchiness. I didn't know that would mean a steroid injection, I'm not a vet!

I'm still upset over it all and I will be calling into the vets on Monday regarding it. I have to get an insurance claim form filled in as I had to pay £80 for the treatment up front then I've to claim it back of insurance...then I'm strongly considering changing vets.

Angel had to go to vets again - sore ear... 433597 Peeved still!
p1nkangel
p1nkangel

Female
Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Angel had to go to vets again - sore ear... Empty Re: Angel had to go to vets again - sore ear...

Post by engladian Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:28 am

Just like with your own medical treatment...ask,ask,ask. Never assume. Be sure to tell any vet you use, up front and from the beginning, to please explain what each and every treatment they are administering at all time to you and that at all costs you want to avoid any use of steroids. Lesson learned the hard way now but I'm sure you won't make the mistake again. I posted a link to a site ages ago somewhere on here in regards to ear yeast infections in connection to allergies.
http://dogearyeastinfection.com/

Last edited by engladian on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add link)
engladian
engladian
Admin Team
Admin Team

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down